Monday, April 30, 2012

Breakfast Bars & Fruit and Nut bars

Today was a day of baking.  B wanted more Fruit N' Nut bars and I found another recipe for breakfast bars so I decided to make both.  They use some of the same ingredients so it wasn't too crazy and hectic to do.  Also, I love being in the kitchen making and trying new things so this was nice for me. 

From the Breakfast Bars:
I found these at Elana's Pantry.  If you haven't checked out this site before go now!  It's great and has wonderful recipes. 
For the ingredients, I used:
1 ¼ cup blanched almond flour
 ¼ teaspoon sea salt
 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
 ¼ cup EVOO oil (because that's all I had on hand... the original recipe called for Grapeseed oil)
 ¼ cup agave nectar
 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
 ½ cup pumpkin seeds
 ½ cup sunflower seeds
 ¼ cup almond slivers
 ¼ cup cranraisins (the original recipe called for raisins but I don't like them)

I combined the almond flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl
Then I added the oil, agave and vanilla in the Kitchen Aid mixer. 
Add the  dry ingredients into the wet ingredients
Mix in coconut, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, almond slivers and raisins
The recipe called for a 8x8 inch Pyrex baking dish but I don't have one so I used a 5 x 7 baking dish
Press the dough into the baking dish, I just used a spatula to even it all out in the pan.
Bake at 350° for 20 minutes
My goodness this smells so GOOD!!!  They were still a little warm when I cut them so they feel a part but still will be a delicious snack throughout the week.


The Fruit N' Nut Bars (Coconut Cherry Bars). 
Again, I found these at EveryDay Paleo which is a great recourse through the journey of Paleo. 

Recipe calls for:
1 cup raw almonds
½ cup raw pecans
12 Medjool dates
1 cup dried cherries (unsweetened)
2 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut flakes (unsweetened)
¼ teaspoon salt

This time around I soaked my dates in pomegranate juice overnight to add a little more flavor.  I only own a mini chopper so I have to do all of this in parts which is simple enough.  I first chop the almonds.  Then the pecans with the salt.  I pour both into the Kitchen Aid mixer and stir lightly to mix.  I then have to chop of the dates after draining the pomegranate juice.  This turns into a thick gummy texture.  Add to the Kitchen Aid but do not mix.  Do the same with the dried cherries (I used cranraisins since I didn't have cherries on hand and these works just fine) with the 2 tbsp on coconut oil.  Once chopped, add to the Kitchen Aid mixer.  Dump in the 1/2 cup of coconut flakes and the Kitchen Aid do its magic.

Once mixed, grab a cookie sheet or just place some saran wrap on the counter top.  Dump the mixture onto the saran wrap and add another layer on top.  This allows you to roll it out without getting all sticky.  I put mine in the fridge for about 30 minutes to harden a smidgen but this is not mandatory.  Cut it up and enjoy!  They aren't the prettiest looking things ever but the are mighty tasty and filling... which is all that it's about, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment