Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Paleo Turkey bacon pork chops

I am trying to learn how to effectively use a crock pot.  I'll be quite honest, it's not my gift.  I have tried and tried and I tend to find that most recipes are not that great.  However, the rumor is that crock pots should be awesome... so I keep trying!  And this is what happened:

Crock pot pork chops, wrapped in turkey bacon, with garlic and spicy mustard.  I found the general idea from... where else??... PINTEREST.  I tend to lean more towards veggies then meats and have been that way for a long time.  One of the things that I determined was that if I were going to faithfully do Paleo, I was going to need to try to eat more meats.  Now, that being said, I think you can be successful eating Paleo and being a vegetarian.  I however, being married to a man who doesn't really cook and doesn't really eat veggies... needed to try to find common ground.  So far, we have been happy meeting each other half way.  He is probably eating far more veggies than ever before and I am eating more meat than before. 

The original recipe calls for:  3 boneless, skinless pork chops
- 6 pieces of bacon
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1/2 T red chili paste (or red chili flakes work, too)
- 1 20 oz. can pineapple (or one pineapple cut up, if you're one of those ambitious people who cuts up their own pineapple.)

What I did:
3 boneless, skinless pork chops
As many pieces of turkey bacon as I needed to make sure the chops were covered (about 2 a piece)
Spicy mustard
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes
Minced Garlic
1 cup of organic chicken stock & the juice from 1-20 oz can of shredded pineapple
Large spoonful of shredded pineapple on top of each pork chop

Moral of the story: Brian called me the next day after lunch and told me they were absolutely delicious!  That made my day.  I had 1/2 of one pork chop for dinner that night and took the other 1/2 for lunch the next day.  I tend to find that with all the recipes I make for just the 2 of us that there are always leftovers.  So be aware.  Good luck and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant to say was,How thick were your pork chops and how long did you cook them, and at what level, as in Low, Medium, High? Thank you for your attention to this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pork chops were about 1 - 1.5 inches thick. I cooked them on warm for about 9 hours. My crock pot tends to dry things out quickly on low so I have to cook my foods on low.

    ReplyDelete