Saturday, April 7, 2012

Paleo cobbler... YUM... except for this last time I made it

Cobbler... one can't go wrong with cobbler.  Dump a bunch of fruit on the bottom of a deep dish pie pan, add cake mix/pastry crumbles/homemade paleo-approved crumbles/etc.  Bake in the over at 350 for about 30 minutes and BAM! You're done.  Delicious dessert on your plate in no time.  Well... not exactly this time around.

Every Sunday we head over to our friends' house for dinner/fellowship/bonding time.  We share the responsibilities in meal preparation including entree/sides/dessert/bottle of wine.  This time around I was to bring a pork tenderloin that we would grill once we got to their house (they have a great patio and you can't beat the weather right now) and the dessert.  At home I had already thawed the tenderloin and portioned out the makings of the cobbler.  The topping was prepped with one whole egg sitting atop the mixture for cushion during our ride over there.  Instead of doing one specific fruit, I had mixed together 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup raspberries and 1 cup pomegranate seeds.  (YUM!) 

We arrived at the house and unpacked our belongings.  The guys started on the grill and I began working on dessert while M prepped the salad and sides.  I quickly realized that I FORGOT the fruit.    Uhhhhh.....  Seriously, C?  You forgot the fruit?  Oh. My. Word!

B offered to run to the store to get some other frozen fruit.  What a savior.  The dessert looks yummy... but frozen bags of fruit only come portioned in 2.5 c bags.  The cobbler this time around was quite 'crumbly' to say the least.  We all ate it with smiles on our faces but it wasn't near as good as before.  So now you all have the FYI -- make sure there are at least 3 cups of fruit (I would recommend closer to 4 if you have a deep dish pie pan.  It tastes so much fruitier! :)  Enjoy!!

PS:  I found this recipe at where else than Everyday Paleo!  The first time I made this, I followed the recipe to a "T."  Since then I have decided I like to add more fruit, and a variety at that.  I also do not add the milk to it at the end.  I like it as is with nothing else to it.   Good luck and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment