Saturday, April 7, 2012

Paleo crumble cake

I love when I have time in the morning to bake breakfast.  Most mornings are scrambled eggs, sauteed mushroom, onions and maybe 1/2 of an avocado if I have one on hand.  This morning I had some time so I decided to make a crumble cake that I saw on Pinterest.  While baking, I was jamming out to Jason Mraz... what a great start to a beautiful day.  All the windows and doors are open too!! :)  Love days like this. 

Now, for the recipe.  I found the original recipe here.  Everything the recipe called for I had on hand except for the infamous arrowroot powder.  After doing some research, I found that an equal substitute is Tapioca Flour (also called Tapioca starch... and I just happened to have that in stock in the pantry).  I learned something new today!

I pulled out all the necessary ingredients first:

 For the batter portion, you will need
1/2 C Coconut Milk (I used SO Delicious, unsweetened coconut milk)
2 Eggs (I just used egg whites)
1/4 C Raw Local Honey
1 tsp Vanilla
2 C Almond Flour
1/2 C Arrowroot Powder (I used tapioca flour/starch)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt

I mixed the dry ingredients together first.  Added the wet ingredients after.  The recipe that I found said to use a 7 x 9 in pan.  I had a 5 x 7 stoneware piece and that worked just fine.  I did have to bake it a little longer than the original recipe called for.

I needed to make the cinnamon topping next.  I used:
2 tbsp Cinnamon
1/4 C Coconut Oil (or butter)
3 Tbsp Honey
Next time I will probably only use 1 T or maybe 1.5 T. of the cinnamon. The 2 T was quite strong.  I liked the flavor but it was slightly intense. 

I added 1/4 cup of pecans and 1/4 cup of walnuts because I love them both so much!  The oven was set for 325 and the cake was baked for 30 minutes to start.  I pulled it out and put a tooth pick in the middle.  It was still a little wet so I baked it for another 6 minutes.  It came out wonderfully and the smells were even better!

 B cut both of us big pieces and I couldn't finish mine.  I will make this again and it would be great if family was here to share with.  Jason Mraz and my leftover coffee from DD yesterday will have to do for now.  Enjoy your day and happy baking!


1 comment:

  1. this does sound good! Wish we were there to snag a piece!

    ReplyDelete