Sunday, April 1, 2012

Paleo waffles

This morning after waking up I got the question, "what's for breakfast?".  This was my cue to know that he was not planning on making himself eggs like he tends to do each morning.  I mentioned that I had seen recipes for different Paleo pancakes and/or waffles. His statement, "that would be great".  Well... there we have it then.  I would just looovvvveeee to make you breakfast.  (Stated in full sarcasm!) :)

He agreed to clean his bathroom (can we say ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING) if I made breakfast.  I went into the kitchen with my laptop and googled 'Paleo waffles'.  I came across the recipe by Juli at PaleoOMG!  We had pretty much all the ingredients so I ventured into the first of my paleo breakfast makings that are not eggs or sweet potato hash. 

We had all the ingredients but arrowroot (have no idea what that is) so used coconut flour instead.  I googled arrowroot to actually figure it out.   The recipe is a little thicker consistency than what I am used to when using Bisquick.  It smelled delicious (like cookies or muffins).  I was able to make 2 waffles with the mixture.  I cut one in half for me and gave the other 1.5 to B.  I enjoyed them with a splash of maple syrup.  B was not a fan but graciously ate one of the waffles.  He threw away the rest. 

I paired mine with some homemade green smoothie (leftover from yesterday) and black tea.  Brian made homemade OJ with the Vitamix and black tea. 

This has been a fun journey just learning what both of us do and do not like.  I would possibly make these again if I were craving waffles/breads but not for B. 

On another note, after church today I decided to go for a jog.  I did 4 miles and it kicked my butt.  It's already getting a little too hot by the middle of the day.  Not that I am complaining... I love the heat!  Brian went about an hour after me and said to felt wonderful.  Maybe the breeze was different...  My goal is to make it to spin class tomorrow morning before work.  Wish me luck!

Make it a great rest of your Sunday!

4 comments:

  1. what tasted weird about the waffles? what didn't B like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question. He felt that they were too dense and not enough flavor. When we have made waffles in the past with all-purpose flour they are smooth and fluffy. These are more grainy but I felt the flavor was good. The one thing I will most likely try next time is a little less shredded coconut. I think that is maybe why they were 'grainy-ish'. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need me a Vitamix!(On another note, I just got back from Target and bought three different types of cheeses!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the background! And the waffle sounds intriguing. And btw, I have heard of arrowroot but not coconut flour!

    ReplyDelete