Thursday, April 19, 2012

Paleo Scotch Eggs

I've been reading about scotch eggs since I started Paleo.  I must be honest I have never heard of them nor seen then before now.  I googled Paleo scotch eggs and found this website.  A scotch egg is pretty much a hard boiled egg wrapped in ground meat and then baked.  I have also found recipes where you 'fry' them a bit on the stove and then pop them in the oven.  This recipe just involved baking so that is all I did this time around.  The recipe also mentioned that you could use breadcrumbs if you want on the outside.  I decided to try it out with Gluten Free Cornmeal as I tend to like a crunchy texture. The idea of just meat didn't settle with me. 

I had already pre-boiled the hard boiled eggs and thawed the ground turkey so this recipe did not take long at all to throw together.   All you do is remove the shell from the hard boiled egg and grab a handful of meat.  Place the egg in the center of the meat and start working it into a ball.  It's that easy.  All you have to do from there is dip the ball into the egg bath so that the gluten free cornmeal thoroughly sticks to the turkey. 
I did read in the instructions that you need to place the pre-cooked scotch eggs on some sort of drip tray so that the juices can drip from the meat while cooking.  I just use a cookie sheet lined with foil and placed an unfolded cooling rack on top.  This worked just fine. 

Have the oven pre-heated at 350.  Once the scotch eggs are prepped and ready to be cooked, place in the oven for 35 minutes.  When I took them out I didn't feel like they looked fully cooked.  We cut one open just to make sure and it was just fine.  I still think I might flash fry it before I eat it.  I understand they are good warm or cold but I'm not one for cold meat either.  One scotch egg can be a whole meal (to me).  They are quite hefty.  Moral of the story, they turned out fine and I'm glad I tried them...however I don't think I will be making these again.  They really didn't do that much for me. 

I have enjoyed exploring Paleo for this reason.  I am trying things I would NEVER have tried in the past and learning more and more of what I like and don't like.  This has been a fun journey so far.  Thank you for journeying along with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment