Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Today's Paleo-ized bfast & dinner

This morning I planned to make my breakfast and prep dinner at the same time.  I am continuing to practice my Crock Pot skills.  I'll tell you the truth, I still have a ways to go... but at least I'm trying.

For breakfast, I decided on sweet potato hash and eggs with 1/2 of an avocado.  The sweet potato is quite easy to put together although you will have to use your forearm muscles to grate the sweet potato.  I tend to buy two or three sweet potatoes at a time and will grate all of them at one time just to have it all prepped.  I have found that it lasts just fine in the refrigerator (in an air tight container) for a week or two. 

 I put about 1 1/2 - 2 cups grated sweet potato in a bowl, add some green onion and then plop in an egg to 'bind' it all together.  You can also add a splash of vanilla extract and cinnamon for a nice sweet treat.  Before I mix it all together, I warm up my cast iron skillet with a spoonful of coconut oil on medium-high heat.  I then just use my hand, but of course you can use a spoon or spatula, to mix it up.  I find it is just as easy to use my hand and then add it to the warmed cast iron.  I forgot to take a picture of the final product but trust me, you will not be disappointed with this meal.  I tend to make a large portion and put half away for dinner that night or breakfast the next morning.


Now, on to dinner!  I went with the crock pot pork chops again.  They were so tasty the last time that I just had to make them again.  I had thawed the pork chops in the fridge the night before so they were easy to work with.  I used 3 pieces of turkey bacon per each chop.  I layer the bacon just slightly and only use one tooth pick to hold it all together.    Turn on the broil setting of your oven.  When ready, place your chops in a baking dish and cook the bacon (crisps the bacon a bit which is what is intended) for about 15-20 minutes in the oven.  Eye the bacon to determine if it is crisped enough.  You don't want it to be blackened but you also don't want it too soft because they it gets soggy in the crock pot... and I just find that nasty.  I added 1 cup of beef broth (because that's the only broth I had in stock right now) and then some pineapple juice to the bottom of the crock pot.  Place the two broiled chops into the crock pot and smoother with pineapple (you can do rings, chunks or shredded).  I leave my crock pot on warm when I leave for work as I don't work a job that I can guarantee just an 8 hour day.  On this day, I ended up being gone for about 10 hours and the warmed crock pot worked just perfectly.  B loved the chops... however, when I cut into it I had one of  my meat-disgust moments and decided not to eat it.  I have done so much better about eating meat but I still run into those moments where, no matter how good it looks, I'm just not in the mood. 

2 comments:

  1. That sweet potato hash sounds so good! and the pix make it look good too. I can hardly wait to come visit and be treated to all your good cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good! I had it again for breakfast this morning!! Add some onion and vanilla extract... maybe a dash of cinnamon and it is perfect!! Have you tried the Paleo chocolate chip cookies yet?

    ReplyDelete