Friday, April 20, 2012

Paleo "candied" pecans (and I added walnuts too!)

Holy moly, may I say most delicious snack/dessert to have on hand!!!  These suckers smell delicious from the moment they go in the oven and taste even better when they come out.   I was in the mood for something sweet but didn't want to make homemade paleo ice cream so looked up online "paleo candied pecans".  I stumbled upon this website and decided to give it a try.  I followed the recipe to a "T" except for the fact that I didn't want to use just pecans.  I love pecans but had some walnuts on hand and at that time they sounded good "candied" too so I decided to give them a try. 
I preheated the oven to 250.  In a large bowl I added one egg white and 1 tbsp of water.  I whisked it for a good minute with a fork until it had a nice sheer frothy look to it.  I dumped two cups of pecans and two cups of walnuts in the egg bath and used a spoon to make sure all the nuts were bathed in the egg and water.  In a large Pyrex mixing cup I poured the 2/3 cup of honey, 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp cinnamon.  I also added about 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract for some extra flavor.  Add the honey mixture to the bowl of nuts and mix thoroughly.  Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and smooth down so that none are clumped on top of each other. 

Every 15 minutes for the next hour and fifteen minutes let the nuts roast away.  Every 15 minutes it is helpful to mix the nuts around on the parchment paper with a spatula so that they don't stick onto the paper.  At the end of the 1 hr 15 minutes, place into a glass bowl so that they don't cool on the parchment paper and stick there too.  Let cool and enjoy.  I have been snacking on them slightly warm and they are absolutely delicious.  They go in the fridge at night and are quite tasty chilled too.  Even though we aren't close to a winter holiday (which these remind me of) they are absolutely wonderful to snack on year round!  Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummalicious, and I'm glad to find out we don't have to wait til Christmas to enjoy them!!

    ReplyDelete