Thursday, April 26, 2012

Paleo tortilla FAIL

There was this lovely looking picture on my pin board in pinterest that showed tortillas.  I was feeling a little carb-acious (is that a word?) today so I decided to venture into a new recipe and try paleo tortillas and make some shredded chicken for Mexican dinner night.  Let's just say, I ended up eating something more like a tostada than tacos tonight.  The photo to the right is the picture that I saw and what I was aiming to make.  The recipe is here.  As you can see below... that is NOT at all what mine turned out like.  The recipe went a little something like this:
1/4 c coconut flour
8 large egg whites
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup water
coconut oil to use on your frying pan (aka my cast iron skillet)

All you do is mix all the ingredients together, heat the pan, and then pour about 3 tbsp of batter into the heated pan.  Can't be too difficult, right?  Well, leave it to me to make anything simple quite complicated.  The directs say to then tilt and swirl the skillet to spread out the batter into round thin tortilla shapes.  I used a spoon to thin them out.  The batter quickly began getting stuck onto the skillet so the first one had its far share of rips in it.  This is why I don't make pancakes either.  I cannot master the heat to oil to batter ratio that makes it easy to flip and look appealing all at the same time... I digress though...

The "tortillas" turned out more like a pancake.  They were thicker and clearly more browned than the lovely photo above.  The texture and taste were good... they just weren't tortilla-esque.  I decided we would still do Mexican night and make tostadas instead.  Now, I know tostadas are supposed to be crispy and these were not but I still thought it would be yummy.  I topped mine with shredded chicken, sauteed mushrooms, onions and red bell peppers, added some chopped lettuce and topped with 1/2 of an avocado.  The meal itself was filling and tasty.  Maybe some other day I will decide to try the tortillas again but until then, I guess I will be fine with no 'bread-like-substance'.  It was a thrilling thought while it lasted.   If you have the secret to perfecting the perfect tortilla, please let me know!!  I am eager to learn.  Thank you and enjoy your eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment